Tuesday, October 5, 2010

And Some More Peanut Butter..


Ok, these cookies have been a HUGE hit every time I've made them. I first made them to take up to Oregon when I went on a whitewater rafting trip with the Young Adults group at my church and made them again a couple weeks later to take up to Hume Lake with the high school group...both times these cookies were DEVOURED. I think the 8 of us girls who were up at Hume ate 2 full batches ourselves in a matter of days!

I stumbled across this recipe about 2 months ago when I was on a hunt for a peanut butter cookie recipe that would yield soft, chewy cookies. I've never been a huge fan of peanut butter cookies, unless they have chocolate in them, mainly because I think peanut butter cookies tend to be more on the crunchy side and I am a fan of soft cookies. Don't get me wrong, I'll never turn down a peanut butter cookie if that's my only option, but if I'm given choices, I'm likely not going to go with the plain PB cookie.


Before I made this recipe I couldn't tell you the last time that I actually made regular peanut butter cookies, but I was on a mission to find a good recipe. I went to my favorite food website, foodgawker.com, and searched for 'peanut butter cookies.' The thing that caught my eye about this amazing recipe is the fact that it was labeled as 'Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies.' I clicked on the site and found that honey was the secret ingredient that was used to make these cookies so soft. The first cookies I ever remember making, when I was around 7 or 8, were peanut butter and honey cookies, so when I saw that this recipe was similar, I had to make these cookies, if only for nostalgic reasons.

I can't say that I followed the recipe exactly..afterall, I am on a quest to create my own recipes, so I will post the original recipe, but do know that I did change up a few things when I made these cookies myself.

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup vegetable shortening
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup honey
2 large eggs
Sugar, for rolling the cookies in

Directions:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; whisk together and set aside. With a mixer cream together the shortening, butter, peanut butter and honey. Mix in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture and beat until incorporated.

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Roll the dough into 1½-inch balls, and roll each dough ball in sugar. Place the dough balls on an ungreased baking sheet, a couple inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly puffed and golden. Let cool.

Adapted from recipe found here: http://annies-eats.com/2010/01/29/chewy-peanut-butter-cookies/

No comments:

Post a Comment